By all measures our project “SplashMaps” is turning out to be a success and is now a thiving business.
We launched the business in November, it gained over £8000 in crowd funding in December and in January we held our first show at the Outdoors Show. In terms of publicity our integrated marketing programme has led to 2 live radio appearances and 7 news slots on BBC Television News. We’ve featured in on-line media and when the TV programme Dragons Den came to visit us at our Outdoors Show they could not beat their way through the press to talk with us!
So why the clamour? Isn’t this just a very simple idea.
Innovation, of course, is not about the idea. It’s about putting the idea into action. And in part the interest is as much about how we created our proposition as it is about the fabulous product itself. So here’s what we’ve done.
1) We’ve taken the best principles from the technologies we understand
2) We’ve applied them to optimise our design
3) We’ve done this with our future customers on-board
4) We’ve used the “crowd” to provide data, funding and product improvement ideas
5) Our physical product improves with every iteration and the range of products are targeted at key markets where we actually KNOW they are in demand.
Our result is a product that beats the physical and digital mapping competition on weight, size, clarity, handlability, durability, profitability and usability. Well, that’s what SplashMaps customers tell us anyway ;-).